Wednesday, April 4, 2012

22469

Lots of info released today about the Stockholm Marathon! 
I will be (as predictable, having no previous marathon records) in the last of the 6 starting pens, which is good because it will help me start slow. Not that I plan on passing many people anyway...
There will be refreshment stations about every 3km, which means I really don't need to bring any drink myself. I was considering bringing one bottle in my belt just in case, but with water and energy drinks every 3km it really is unnecessary. 

They will also have "energy stations":

  • 21km: Pickled gherkins from Brinks (who/what Brinks is and why on earth would anyone want to eat pickles during a marathon, I don't know).
Got cravings?
  • 28km: Maxim energy bars - interesting, but I don't think I'll want to try anything new during the marathon. Maybe I should buy some of these bars and try them while I still can.
  • 32km: vegetable stock - again... why?
  • 36km: a cola soft drink - caffeine, anyone?
  • 39km: Dextro Energy dextrose - now this is good! I hope they will still have some by the time I get there.
  • 17km, 27km and 37km: good old bananas.


Runners must be in their pens at the latest 15 minutes before the start. Those are going to be 15 VERY stressful minutes.

Top runners will start 10 minutes earlier. I need to re-do the calculations, but I think this means that they will pass me around the end of my first lap, close to the finish for them. Nice!


Every runner gets a sponge that can be used during the race "to refresh yourself at the sponge stations". By dipping it in a barrel in which thousands of runners before me have dipped theirs? No, thanks.


Every runner will receive their registration card by mail in late April, it's good they are not mailing them out at the last moment but I still would have preferred to pick it up myself.


And there's a lot more, but this is the most important stuff.

3 comments:

  1. Really interesting to read about the variety of food offered at the Stockholm marathon - makes it sound more like an ultra would be here in the US. Usually at US marathons, you are offered water and Gatorade and sometimes energy gels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had you already heard about pickles? A friend of mine found an interesting article about "alternative" energizers here:
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40010281/ns/health-fitness/#.T3z9Zr9U3VU

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link! I've seen pickle juice next to the Gatorade at the grocery store. I'd like to try that for my cramps in the later miles when it's hot, but I don't think I could stomach it.

    ReplyDelete