Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Doubts

5km easy, with kids. 


Beautiful day for a run, too bad I only had to do 5km! It was supposed to be an easy run at a slow pace, but I decided that I didn't want to listen to my (well, actually my husband's) Garmin and I listened to my body instead: I started running at a comfortable but good pace, and after a while I checked and discovered it was about 40 seconds faster than what I had in my plan. I continued with that pace until the end because it felt good.
I have a theory that I need to investigate further: if I start up too slow, then I find it very difficult to speed up to a faster pace, whereas if I already start faster (but still in my comfort zone) then I have no problems keeping it up until the end. 


On a different note, I'm not sure about my training plan anymore. The long run schedule is supposed to be designed for a beginner adopting the run/walk/run approach, but is that also good for somebody who wants to run the whole distance? I find the Galloway approach interesting, but something is keeping me from following it all the way. Next June 3rd I want to be able to say that I ran my first marathon, not that I ran/walked it... 

6 comments:

  1. Hi G, thanks for visiting my blog! You live in the Netherlands?! I'd like to visit there someday. On the pace of your easy runs, I wouldn't worry so much about pace - I'd just run easy. And I'd change my training plan until I liked it. Just be sure to use a pencil! Or to have that delete button handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ottimo approccio. Fatti guidare da te, non da Galloway ;). Stai andando benissimo mi pare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tina, thanks for visiting as well! Yes, I live in the Netherlands since 2008.
    Thanks for the advice, it makes sense that I should run at whatever pace *feels* easy. Still working on my training plan...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there G:
    You're doing great. It sounds as if you listen to your body instead of focusing on what a Garmin says.
    Where is your training plan? I will help you tweak it if you like.
    Thanks. Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. My training program (all of its versions I should say) is on my computer, in a xls file, I would be most grateful if you want to have a look at it! Maybe I could take a screenshot and post it here, would that work?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll answer myself: no, that wouldn't work because it's such a long plan I would need to take several screenshots... can I send it to you via email?

    ReplyDelete