Sunday, March 4, 2012

Unknown territory

I went into unknown territory today, in every sense.
I was not sure I would complete the 16km I had scheduled, I didn't want to push myself too far and I knew that also 14km would have been good, since next long run is again 16km. I had planned on doing a 12km route and then just add one or two 2km laps in my neighbourhood, but around the 8km mark I knew it was going to be all right so I went for an unplanned detour in the woods.


I ran on unknown trails, discovered a place where they apparently train dogs, and went by a few of these  piles of recently cut timber. They were quite high and I can see why somebody found it necessary to explicitly forbid climbing...
At 10km I had my first ever energy gel (Power Bar Gel - lemon/lime), and was surprised by how salty and sticky it was. Eeeeewww! Why did I buy three of those?
It's weird, as I think back now I can only remember very few things of today's run, I was so focused on listening to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix that I didn't even realize I was running. I was fully aware though of the fact that this was going to be my longest run so far without regular walk breaks.
At some point around the 12km mark I was feeling tired and I was starting to talk myself into accepting that 14km was also good, when I realized I had started to hunch forward. I straightened up, tightened my newly found abdominal muscles and focused on keeping a straight posture and what do you know... 500m and it was like the tiredness had been wiped away from my body. All those core strengthening exercises are paying off!
I continued for the last km in my neighbourhood and ran into my family at the little park close to home, and even had my daughter run next to me for a few meters, which was sweet :-)
Another 500m or so of walking after having stopped the Garmin at 16.01km and then I was home, pleasantly surprised at how easy it had been and how good I was feeling, but nonetheless aware that there was still time for problems to arise. Ten hours have passed since then, and I am only feeling (rightfully, I would add) tired, knees a bit sore but it's not a worrisome tiredness, just the kind you feel when you've been on your feet for a long time (U2 GA, anyone?).

Let's see now when I will stop worrying about injuries and start enjoying the running again!


4 comments:

  1. Wonderful, Germana! I felt like I was running with you listening to Harry Potter. There's some magic in that, you know. :) It sounds like you are pleased and that's a very good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene! Today I'm satisfied, I'll wait until tomorrow to be pleased :-)

      Delete
  2. Milestones are great! Maybe you could mix the other gels you have(that you don't like) with water just to make them edible and to use them up. Hooray for 16K!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, but I think I will pass the two remaining gels to my husband :-)

      Delete