Thursday, March 1, 2012

8+8=16?

I had a big scare today. Last Thursday I had emailed the Stockholm Marathon organization to ask what my options were in case I could not run this year, and today I got a reply:


"Hi,

I have cancel you and i will refund 85 euro to your visacard that you pay with.

Regards
Pamela W."
[name edited]

Panic. No phone number to call, no personal email, just that "info" address. I sent three short emails in about 6 minutes, the first one sounding something like "hey, that's not what I asked!", the second one "HEY! I WANT BACK IN!!!", the third one "listen, please read my first email, I didn't ask you to be canceled". I was shaking head to toes. My name did not appear anymore in the marathon start list.
I had a phone number of another person in the organization, I called, she gave me the email address of Mrs. Pamela W. and promised me she would also call her. After 58 minutes of nothing from them, my name finally appeared again in the start list, and shortly after that Mrs. Pamela emailed me that I was registered again for the marathon. Note: my original question remains unanswered, but after today I will just assume that the only option is a partial refund, I will not dare email them again.



The training week: even with my sore knees after Saturday's 12km I had no problems standing (and jumping and dancing) for hours on Sunday at a rock concert. On Monday I had the second appointment with the sports doc, who took notice of the changes and proceeded to do some manipulation of knees and hips. Given the good results with the shoe inserts and the core strengthening exercises, he gave me the ok to keep training for the marathon this year, and see what happens. Happy me!!!

Before going out on Tuesday for my scheduled 8km I was afraid it would be too much, I was going to decide on the spot whether to run the whole distance or cut it short. And... it was a breeze. I have never felt so stable while running, and of course I had no idea I was so unstable before! I was able to keep a faster pace (following the indications of my training program) without any problem. I believe that running the last km slower to allow for a better cool down also helped a lot, so I will always make sure I have a cool down phase at the end of every run from now on. 
Only thing to notice: after a few hours my right Achilles tendon was hurting quite a bit, and also the top of my left ankle whenever I flexed my foot (pulling toes towards leg). 24 hours (and some NSAID cream) later, it was all good again.

Another 8km run today, with no problems. All joints are good as of now. 

So... this Sunday I have a 16km run scheduled. That's a pretty steep increase from last Saturday's 12km and it's going to be my second longest run ever, the longest one being the 17km that tipped my left knee over the edge in December (and that was with regular walk breaks). Wish me luck people, I feel this is an important test for me and it will have a big influence on my chances of running the marathon this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment