Sunday, March 18, 2012

Stress, spring, struggle

Tuesday: 8km, fast.
I really didn't want to go out. My legs were still paying for the race simulation on Sunday, and on top of that on Monday I had had a strength training session at physio, mainly with heavy resistance biking and squats with weights. Muscles were hurting that I didn't even know I had.
Still, I strapped both kids in the stroller and I went out. It was cold-ish, cloudy and a bit windy. For the first time, I was painfully aware of how heavy the stroller is with both kids inside it and I was having a hard time pushing it. Add to all this the contribution of my crankily hyper daughter who was either singing the same line ("shut your eyes and sing to me") over and over again or somehow annoying my son and making him cry, and you get the picture of a quite stressful run. I even had to stop twice to cross the road and twice to check what was going on in the stroller, and it surely didn't help.

Thursday: 8km, fast.
The second run for this week was scheduled on Friday, but I couldn't pass on the chance to run on a perfect spring day with only my son in the stroller.

Asparagi fields

Needless to say, it was a completely different experience. I really enjoyed this run and I am looking forward to more of the same kind.

Sunday: 16km.
Same weather conditions of Tuesday, with a much stronger wind. My average pace ended up being 10sec/km faster than two weeks ago but I don't think this is what made it so much harder. I took (read: "stole from the kids") two of these
instead of the energy gel, and anyway lack of physical energy has not been an issue thanks to a good breakfast. 

Looks like my joint troubles have shifted from the left to the right side: for the first 3km there was something wrong with my right ankle, then with my right knee for another couple of kilometers. From about half-way on I could (already!) feel the fatigue in both knees. I suspect this could be linked to the route, as I ran on trails more than I'm used to and actually more than I had planned to do.
The sun peeked through the clouds for two vital minutes and its warm smile gave me a much needed bit of encouragement to finish my run.



No comments:

Post a Comment