Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Reality check

It started yesterday afternoon, once I had completely cooled down after my aborted run. A pain I could pinpoint: right above the patella, centered but slightly to the left (outside), any time I contract my quadriceps with my knee bent at about 90-100 degrees (that is going up or down the stairs, squatting and so on).

As I write this, it is only painful if I press hard on that point but I have decided anyway to follow the doctor's first advice, that was not to run until I have the shoe inserts. The appointment with the podiatrist is in week -19 before the marathon, which leaves me with very little time to train properly.

 We'll see.


5 comments:

  1. PFPS...patellofemoral pain syndrome....hopefully you see the PT soon, this is one of the things we are good at treating...the patellar tracking mechanism of the knee often goes awry, and especially knowing your history of poor foot alignment..it's the "perfect storm" when someone starts running or increasing mileage...hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insert "Electric Storm" as an added visual.

    It all sounds very uncomfortable and limiting, and I think that you're very wise in following the doctor's advice. How much more time before week 19?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Week -19 is this one coming, so if I wanted to follow the 18 weeks program I would have to start training in the week starting the 30th of January. That program though is meant for someone who's been running for a few months, not for somebody recovering from an injury...

      Delete
  3. Had some serious knee pain from running a number of years ago, but I was able to run after taking quite a lot of time off. Hope the inserts help soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tina, thanks for stopping by. I will have the inserts next week, let's see if that helps. Did you ever have to postpone a race because of an injury?

    ReplyDelete