Sunday, January 8, 2012

A new beginning

No complaints from my joints after Thursday's run, so I went out for my "long" run today... 5,5km.
It really doesn't feel good to call this a "long" run, but I have to accept the fact that I need to start from zero again, and be very very careful too.
With 21 weeks to go before my marathon, my training plan has to be completely revised, and I decided to try a different approach. Since the Galloway method failed in one of its primary goals (that is to keep me injury-free), I will try a different program: Hal Higdon's 18 weeks Novice 1 program. I will use the 3 extra weeks to build up to the 6 miles planned for the first week of this program, so I will really take it easy in this new beginning.
As for today... the knee brace takes some time to get used to, for the first kilometer I had to adjust it a coulpe of times and it still bothered me especially in the back of the knee, but after that it was ok. Not sure I'd be able to run real long distances with it though, we'll see.
Winter doesn't want to kick in, and towards the end of the run I was wishing I had not put on my thermal shirt under my long sleeve shirt, even though the thermometer read just 6℃ and it was cloudy. I couldn't help but think of a woman I saw running in my hometown in the South of Italy at noon on a cloudless sunny day with a balmy 14℃: she was wearing long thick trainer pants, a very thick wind jacket all zipped up and woolen hat, gloves and scarf (!!!). I don't want to know what she had under that wind jacket, but I'm pretty sure she had another few layers of clothing. After all, it was the first of January!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment