Monday, January 16, 2012

Jumper, not runner

I finally have a real diagnosis, I know what the problem is and not just what its consequences are (the Baker's cyst I had before the holidays, which btw may have been caused by problems with the menisci). I have a patellar tendinopathy, a.k.a. "jumper's knee".
I went to the sports doctor today, and it was good to finally be seen (and not just talk via facebook messages) by someone who knows what he's doing and as an added plus also has a lot of running experience himself. He did a thorough examination and determined that the problem is caused by instability in the push off phase originating in my foot and causing an inward torsion of the knee, therefore stressing the patellar tendon.
The solution? Special shoe inserts only for running with extra support under the ball of my foot, physiotherapy and strengthening exercises (although he was quite impressed with the strength of my quads).
He said that maybe I should consider running the marathon next year, but he didn't exclude the possibility of me running it this year. I guess he also realized how stubbornly determined I am, as at first he had advised not to run until I have the inserts but then he gave me "permission" to run as long as I am 100% pain-free and I stop immediately at the minimum warning sign from my knee.
It is a tricky injury I have, which if neglected could result in more serious damage and need of surgery, and sure as heck I am NOT eager to have surgery again to any of my major joints (and not even the minor ones, for that matter).
About the brace he said that it may help a little bit so it's good to use it when I run, but it's not the solution.
I have an appointment this Thursday with the PT, who will meet me on a running track and observe how I run, and next week with a sports podiatrist.

So... slow and easy forward I go.



No comments:

Post a Comment