Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Baker's cyst

Yep, that's my diagnosis. Yesterday I felt for the whole day a lot of pressure in my knee, and it kept increasing as the hours went by. This morning it was a lot better, I almost had no pain at all so I was hopeful but it didn't last long. As the pressure increased again, after breakfast I decided it was time to be seen by my doctor (yesterday the assistant dismissed me on the phone). Made the appointment, went there around lunch time and came back with the diagnosis I was fearing. Runner's knee I was already prepared to deal with, but this? My doc suggested in a subtle way that maybe I should give up the idea of running a marathon, but she knows how much I want to do this so she didn't completely shut the door.
Looking back at my history, I have a score of 1-1 against doctors who didn't give me big chances of achieving something, looks like this is going to be the tie-breaker.
I'm torn between a warrior's reaction and very negative feelings. What are my chances? How do I deal with this? I will cut down the mileage now, no long runs until this heals, but will it come back when I start building up again? Is it ok to do some strengthening exercises now? will it help at all?
And above all... why? I built up my mileage slowly, I followed the program, I even took the walk breaks... WHY?

Needless to say, I'm not running today.

1 comment:

  1. FIne to do exercises...can't do much about these things...if they really get in the way of your life they can be excised. Did they do an MRI?? that will tell you how big it actually is...of course. These cysts just come up...and they don't necessarily just disappear...do what you feel...that's my advice...if you can run and deal with the aftermath..then do it....don't be defeated.

    Eden

    ReplyDelete