Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Almost there






I just completed my last run (8km race pace) before leaving for Stockholm. I can't quite explain what it feels like to be almost at the end of this road, especially after all of the obstacles I found on it. 
But I'm Italian, so I won't yet say that I made it to the start line! There are still 4 days and a 5km jog that separate me from that... 


Butterflies are abundant in my stomach every time I stop to think about Saturday, I am already getting nervous and every time that I solve one problem bugging me there is always something new that comes up. I figured out a solution for the potty problem, the weathermen say it will be fresh and wet in Stockholm (14℃ with showers) so now what do I worry about? Chafing and blisters. Should I wear the brand new supercomfy superbreathable bra, or the old worn out and oversized but well tested one? The thing is... you don't notice how BAD something is until you try something GOOD... I sure don't have enough kilometers on the new one, but I think I'll risk it because I got almost allergic to the old one. 
What about the heart rate monitor then? Wearing it with the new one may also be a risk, but I want to have the data...
And socks: I have two pairs exactly the same except for size, should I wear the (slightly) tight smaller or the (slightly) loose larger? 
Last doubt is about the running cap. I have used one for the past couple of months, but I ran without it for the last few days. I like the cap because it keeps my hair under control and it protects me from sun and rain, but I also like to run without it for the better view and feeling now that I can tie my hair nicely. 


I guess I'm just getting too nervous and seeing problems where there really isn't any. I've done what I could to prepare myself at the best of my current possibilities, I think I can reasonably be proud of myself for making it all the way here. 
No blog entries until at least June 4th, so I'll see you on the other side of my marathon mountain. 




ps: there will be live updates on the Stockholm Marathon website, the start for my group is at 12:10, they will provide updates every 5km and I expect to finish in about 5 hours... look me up! My bib number is 22469.








2 comments:

  1. You're the woman, Germana!!! I'm getting the butterflies reading all of your preparation questions, and this is a good thing. Years ago a mentor/veteran teacher told me that the day the butterflies disappear on that first day, take it as a sign that a change is needed.

    I want to thank you for sharing your training experience with us as I feel I've learned good things about running, discipline, and your awesomeness. I hope that you felt our support and interest along the way. It's hard to believe that Saturday is nearly here.

    Is there a way that Hans can keep us informed about your final preparations and what's happening? I wish that we could put a little webcam on you to continue on this journey real time. ;)

    AND, nice photograph. I look forward to seeing a picture of the book you make for yourself with the posts and photos.

    Much love. Go Germana!!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene :-)
      I think we may be able to post some updates on facebook via his blackberry, but not too much. You can follow the race with the online live updates, I know you're not a late riser! The start is at 5:10am your time and I hope to cross the finish line about 5 hours later. If you do check in real time, I will feel your good vibes :D

      Delete