Friday, May 4, 2012

Undo, please?

Floriade 2012


How nice would it be to have an "undo" function in real life? Going to the Floriade the day before my 28km run was really a huge mistake, it disrupted my training program and almost jeopardized my participation to the marathon itself. On Monday evening both of my knees were quite sore but less than they were two weeks earlier, after the 24km run, so I wasn't worried. The bad surprise came the following morning when I woke up to find out that my right knee was a bit swollen on the outside and so sore that I couldn't go down the stairs normally. It was the same kind of pain I had already mentioned to my doctor, only much stronger. He said it would be fixed as a consequence of what he's doing to my spine and that it wasn't necessary to do anything specific about it.
I had already planned on moving my weekly runs from Wed-Thu to Thu-Fri, to allow for two days of rest after the long run, I took some Ibuprofen on Tuesday and Wednesday, plus menthol gel and ice, but still it was a no-go on Thursday. By then the swelling was gone but it was still a bit painful to bend the knee so I didn't risk it.
This morning I went out early with a flexible plan: 12km easy if all was good, only 6km (or even less) if something still felt wrong. When I started to run the knee was so stiff that I thought it would be better to stop immediately, and I was even worried about the rest of my training and the marathon. Something in the back of my head though was telling me to keep going just a bit longer... and a bit longer... and after 2km all of the stiffness was gone. In the end I ran for a bit more than 7km, and now everything seems to be ok.
I have 12km planned for Sunday, we'll see how that goes. I really wish I could "undo" the walking last Sunday, but then I would also lose all of the pictures I took...







1 comment:

  1. Uh, oh! Since the marathon isn't until June, I wouldn't worry about missing a few days of training if you have more pain. Hope you're feeling fine now, though!

    ReplyDelete