Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The training nobody talks about

Warning: This post may offend people who pretend they never pee and/or women who pretend they've never wished they were able to do it standing. 






During these past few days after my last long run my mind has been preoccupied with things other than the running itself. The first of these is the weather: we've had such a cold "spring" (if we still want to call it so) that even the average temperature of 18℃ to be supposedly found in Stockholm on June 2nd would present a challenge. Luckily it looks like we are having a taste of summer this week. Last Sunday I went running pretty late in the morning on purpose to let the temperature go up a bit and at the end of my 16km run the thermometer was reporting 25℃. It was a good run, the weather didn't affect me at all so that gave me a bit of confidence about this first of my worries. 


Now for the second thing... I could use many words more or less politically correct, but I'll just stick with the easiest, words that even my 22 months old son can say: pee and poo. I have always been very conscious of the problem that these everyday simple actions can constitute in the middle of a city marathon with thousands of people around you, even (especially?) when you can use a port-a-potty. Then came the story of this woman and the discussion about it with other female runners, and I realized I really needed to think about a solution. I'm lucky I don't have her problems, but I also don't have any natural device which allows me to pee standing. 
Some friends suggested using a pStyle but I'm afraid it would freak me out too much and it surely wouldn't be practical to carry for the whole marathon. Other creative solutions with the same drawbacks include the use of a soft plastic coffee can lid or of a medicine spoon (if your imagination can't help you, google can, but be warned: it will not leave much to imagine). My husband then came up with a brilliant idea: a plastic bag. Not quite discreet so must be used in a port-a-potty, but otherwise easy to fold, carry and use while standing. Actually, I think I have seen once or twice some plastic bags dumped in portable toilets, without being able to understand why... I think I do now. And then I came up with yet another idea, possibly even better than the plastic bag: the paper cups they give at aid stations. No need to carry anything and much more discreet than a big white bag, I could even dare use it outside of a toilet if I'm desperate enough and if I can find a reasonably sized hiding place.
So that's my preferred pee-solution: paper cups in a port-a-potty. I'll carry a bag too, just in case... I surely don't want to end up doing what Paula Radcliffe did, and with every eye watching her! 


Did this talk gross you out? Sorry, but I had warned you. All this is also marathon training and I want to keep track of it here. You can still go on pretending you never pee nor poo. 


As for the actual running, all is good. My right knee still gives me some minor concerns but it should be fine for the marathon, we'll finish fixing it after that. 


Eleven days to go.





1 comment:

  1. Believe it or not, I don't usually need to use the bathroom during my long runs. If I do, I've probably been drinking too much. I have stopped at least once during a marathon, but there have always been plenty of porta-potties for me. Running a marathon is very much like running a long run in training - you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete