Thursday, November 3, 2011

Birthday Run

7km Speedwork: Warm up, 2x(1600m fast + 800m jog), cool down.


I woke up this morning to a beautifully decorated living room, a delicious breakfast, some presents and the smiling faces of my husband and kids wishing me a happy birthday. Now if that's not the perfect start for a birthday, I don't know what could be! Let's add an overwhelming amount of messages on facebook from friends and family and a beautiful bunch of flowers from my in-laws and the picture is almost complete for the morning... 
I said "almost" because my workout was also tuned in with the fantastic day: I ignored the paces in my program and went with the general recommendations: warm up, fast, recovery, fast, recovery, cool down. I even walked for two short segments during my recovery periods, and I think this helped in achieving a faster pace for the second fast mile (I even took 5 seconds off my best Magic Mile). All in all, it felt good and I could have easily continued. 
Maybe I need to make my weekday runs longer, or is it a good thing that I'm always left wanting more?

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday!! Don't make me go to FB for it to count :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! Sounds like a great day with a nice run. You might not feel like running longer as your training progresses and you add on miles, but I think it would be great if you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tina! Yes I had a great day, and it even got better with a bunch of roses from my husband and a surprise dinner out :-)
    I'm also afraid that later on I may want to keep the weekday runs short to better recover from the long runs but right now I really want more! Maybe I could add a 4th training day with another short run... I don't know.
    The good thing is that there's a few months before my marathon, so I have time to adjust my program if I feel it's not enough.

    ReplyDelete