Sunday, November 13, 2011

Galloway test run

Long run: 13km

Even before I signed up for the Stockholm marathon, I was considering adopting the Galloway approach for my long runs because I liked the idea of being able to run long distances without suffering from injuries and/or excessive fatigue. My very first attempt at running with walk breaks though was a complete failure because I didn't follow his recommendations at all, I just ran for 2km and walked for one minute. It was a disaster, possibly the worst workout I've ever done.
The second attempt went much better, I used a 4:1 ratio (4 minutes run, 1 minute walk) for all of the 8 miles of that workout, but in the end I didn't feel any better than after my previous longest run, 10km without breaks. Again, my decision on whether to adopt the Galloway approach or not was postponed.
That's when I signed up for Stockholm.
I spent quite some time sketching a training program, but then I started having doubts about it and I sent an email to Jeff Galloway himself, even though I was not really expecting a reply. About a week later I did get an answer from somebody in the Galloway organization: Chris Twiggs, National Program Director. Chris had clearly spent some time writing down a kind and thoughtful reply, and this alone made me want to go for the run/walk/run method, but not before another test... and that's how we finally get to today's run.
With my best time on a single mile I used Galloway's prediction formulas (see Magic Mile) to calculate my marathon pace and my run/walk ratio. Since I wanted this to be a test run, I picked the ratio that was in between the one recommended for my training (1:1) and the one recommended for my race (2,5:1), so that was 2:1. As for the pace, I still don't have very clear what they recommend, so I decided to pace myself based on the heart rate rather than on the timer.
How did it go? Well... I should check this tomorrow, but now it's 12 hours after I finished my run and I don't have any special complaints other than perfectly normal muscular fatigue. Maybe my left knee is a little bit funky but we'll see tomorrow. So I think I can safely say that the post-run is better, but was the run itself also better? Honestly... no. I didn't feel the elation of last week, and even though I'm trying hard to find some more words to describe what I didn't feel, I think that says it all.

So what do I want from my whole marathon experience? Do I want to feel good while running it or afterwards? I'll have to think about it some more, and in the meantime I'd love the input of anybody who read this.

3 comments:

  1. How about doing more trials using each method in order have a better feel for each? My husband always suggests that I use the approach of three's when I'm investigating something. I'm not sure if that will work in the running world, and I'm curious to hear what you think. I continue to applaud your determination and commitment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion, Irene. In fact, I am now considering doing something similar, and that is to alternate the two methods in the long runs. That way I would either pick a definite favourite and go for it or get used to both, so that I could even choose how to run on my marathon day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're marathon is quite a ways off. If you're having knee pain or little aches and pains now, take it easy. I'm not sure of your weekly workout plan but maybe one day on one day off and do some cross training. In these early months, you can build your endurance by doing alternative sports such as cycling, swimming, etc. Activities that do not stress knees and feet.

    ReplyDelete