Tuesday, November 15, 2011

More on my training program

Easy run, 7km.

On this crispy cold sunny day I learnt one thing: it's better to feel cold for one km than too warm for the rest of the run. Even though the temperature was barely above freezing, wearing a wind jacket and the thermal underwear shirt was NOT a good idea because I couldn't take off the jacket and run with just the shirt. Always make sure you can strip down to a t-shirt, if necessary.

With more help from Chris from the Galloway organization and also from Joanne (Run For Endurance, check her blog for useful tips), I was finally able to make up my mind about my training plan.
Running a marathon is not something to be taken lightly. I have the uttermost respect for the distance, and in fact I also fear it a bit, so I want to make sure that I can get to the start line well prepared, and to the finish line without injuries. "Run only" successful programs all include strength training and pretty high mileage, to which I can't commit right now. The Galloway program, on the other hand, is a three days per week, low mileage program, with an incredibly high rate of success.
I will follow this approach in the coming weeks, and I will try to find that missing feeling by running without breaks for the last quarter of each long run, which is what I would like to do during the marathon: regular walk breaks until mile 20, then run to the finish.
And if this really doesn't work for me, up until 18 weeks before June 2nd I can still switch to a run-only program like Hal Higdon's, and in those 18 weeks I will have to run 4 times a week.





No comments:

Post a Comment