Sunday, November 27, 2011

Writer's block

Long run: 14.5km

Listening to Stephen Fry reading the Harry Potter books while I run the long distances really helps to keep my mind off the distance I still have to cover, but it also has a disadvantage: when I get home I have no idea what to write in my blog, while after the short runs I already have it all figured out in my head.
Well then... where should I start from? I'm having a little writer's block here...
14.5km, 1:1 ratio (1 minute run, 1 minute walk), I didn't like the idea but I had promised I would follow the Galloway guidelines, so I did just that. Except for the first 10 minutes, because the wind was howling and it was pretty cold, and I really didn't want to walk while I was still not warm enough. When you choose the Galloway approach there is one thing you really need to fight, and that is the urge to keep running (when you're supposed to walk) when you come across other runners. Will they know what I'm doing? or will they think I'm too tired to run? There is an inevitable sense of shame that I still need to chase away. Just as my body needs to train for the distance, my mind needs to train for this: to ignore thousands of other runners and the cheering crowd until mile 20, which is when I plan on ditching the walk breaks and start running continuously.
I did the same today, I just ran the last 3.5km and had no problems at all.

Ok, I just can't keep writing this with Mary Poppins at full volume and my kids clapping and singing along...

Here, the corn field was gone, as expected. Can you spot the windmill?



No comments:

Post a Comment