Thursday, October 27, 2011

Running on empty

Day two of my training program, 8km: warm up, 5km tempo, cool down.


Nice day, thin clouds veiling the sun, a bit windy, quite fresh. I had both kids in the stroller so I spent the warm up chatting with my daughter, as always when she's awake. She doesn't really care if I'm just warming up or if I'm sprinting without a breath to spare...


When warm up was over and I had to speed up, problems started. I was finding it hard to keep a pace that is easily in my comfort zone, and I didn't know why. Luckily my daughter went quiet, so at least I didn't have to talk except for the occasional "oh look, a horse!".
It was only by the 3rd km that it finally dawned on me: I was running on empty. A coffee and some yogurt isn't exactly what I would call "the breakfast of champions". It took a while for my body to understand it was time to burn some fat and by the time I finally got that much needed energy, my workout was over.


Please remind me to have a decent breakfast on workout days.

2 comments:

  1. porridge oats with added berries always works for me, come on now Germana, you should know better than this lol, i bet the kids had a bigger breakfast than you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some nice stories on breakfast behavior on this site that you already read most likely: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-301--6761-0,00.html
    Whatever you choose to have for breakfast, don't forget when you run in the morning! :)
    H.

    ReplyDelete