Sunday, February 19, 2012

All good?

Another week of training gone by without major problems.

I moved Tuesday's run to Wednesday so that I could once more go alone and spare the kids some cold. Temperatures are back above zero but it's not exactly spring yet, and I also wanted to have one extra day of rest before repeating the long run at 7km.

On Friday I finally went out with company again for the shortest run of the week, 5km. My son fell asleep almost immediately, my daughter kept her brain in a very low energy state while watching a dvd on our portable player. Sometimes I play this card when she doesn't want to go out running, plus it helps to keep her silent and spare me some breath.

Today: 10km. Almost from the first step I had some discomfort in my right knee, at 5km I took a short walk break to drink some water and when I started running again the discomfort had shifted to my left knee. I was not happy, but I kept going. I kept the slowest pace I can possibly keep while still running, and I think this has been one of the very few runs during which I managed to keep my pace constant from beginning to end.
I actually had to run 10.5km because I had misjudged my route, and I was afraid this could be the last drop for my knees. When I got home, I guess I was just waiting for the hammer to fall: swelling, pain, locked knees, inability to go up and/or down the stairs... but nothing happened. In fact, the discomfort I had felt during the run just eased away by itself in a very short time, and I had no problems at all with the stairs. As I write this (almost 12 hours after going out) I feel perfectly fine, not even tired from the run.

With my fingers crossed I keep following my plan, one run at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment