Monday, February 6, 2012

Ice!

Two days later, I think I can safely say that I had no problems after Saturday's 6km run. The inserts feel good, they don't bother me in the least and it actually feels like the shoes fit better with them. 
It was COLD!!! It was the first time I went running in (way) below freezing temperature, it was -8℃ when I went out in the early afternoon. 


This is a very hurried shot of an area right behind my house, at the beginning of my route. I had to hurry because I didn't want to include any kids in the shot, and I was very lucky as there were many playing around with sleds and ice skates. This on the left is a small frozen pond where people were skating, the paths were being used as sled tracks. On the other side of the road there's a much bigger pond, also completely frozen, which makes for a really nice skating ring.  

Back to my run... with just thermal underwear shirt and long sleeve shirt my upper body was fine, and with my thicker pants my legs were also fine, at least until I turned my back to the sun... which is when my inguinal area started to get cold, very cold. When I got home I saw that the skin there was all red, and it was also a bit itchy: was it starting to freeze??? Maybe if I need to go out again in similar temperatures I will also wear my shorts under or over the long pants. Any ideas from the experienced runners out there?

I have another training program, starting at 5km now and still leading to the marathon on June 2nd. I just can't make myself give up!
I'll have to go out at night this week, because this weather is supposed to continue and I am not bringing the kids out in the stroller. Not looking forward to that, I really don't like running in the dark. 

3 comments:

  1. That is friggin' freezing cold!!!! You're amazing, Germana.

    Are you always training while pushing the stroller? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Irene, I'm not bringing the kids out in this weather!

      Delete